Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Oscar the Grouch

Hello World!

My first blog post. So this is what it looks like from the other side. Hmm, nice window treatment.

I must admit that I'm a little disappointed with myself that I choose to begin my bloggers life with a critical post, however as I am intent on using this tool to express my authentic self I wont bother entertaining any compulsion to be positive or upbeat simply because I don't want to be seen as overly opinionated or critical. I aim to represent my opinion as succinctly as possible and will pursue short postings until I have found this nirvana.

So, what’s with Hollywood? For the last three years (or at least from what I remember) there have been grumbles with the disappointment that is Oscar’s night. "It's too long", "It's too predictable" “The judges are so conservative" "It’s boring!".

So if this is the case, 1 - why do people still feel compelled (obliged?) to watch; 2 - If there is truth to these criticisms, why don’t those responsible for the biggest night in western entertainment do something about; and 3 (which is really point 2b) - is the Academy made up of real breathing people?

On the first point, I think the lure of the bright stars of American celebrity, who for many are the representation of what they profoundly desire to be, gets the best of people’s curiosity. And much the same as reality TV programmes, the chance that something sensational and/or controversial might happen will always draw the closest voyeurs.

The second and third points are more interesting and the reasoning for them is more complex. I think tradition certainly creates a burden of obligation to which fires the ceremony. Like many elements of the boarder American entertainment industry, the Superbowl, music festivals like Ozfest, and telecasts of important dates e.g. New Years at time square etc, an ingrained sense of belonging to a history of occasions is an important driver it would seem.

With the observation of traditions comes the sense of belonging to/beginning apart of something bigger than oneself and this is worked out in an entertainment event by establishing a history to the occasion which gives the perception of some creditability to what is being observed.

It just seems that this desire for marking achievement in film is buckling under the weight of an out-moded tradition. It’s either large blockbuster which critics are indifferent to at best or small independent style films which sadly few people seem to want to watch (especially those who ought to be watching them).

As far as the Academy being human, they must be a sadistic bunch. In the land of programming excellence, it seems odd that the expertise that give us incredible tension in an episode of 24 can't be transferred for one night to the Oscars. The selection of Jon Stewart as host shows that the Academy realises that audiences will not keep tuning in to this behemoth year after year unless drastic changes take place.

Or maybe, just maybe, it’s me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home